Not registered yet?

Reset password Activation link

Forums ~ Feature Requests

Pre-populated forms

March 8, 2019
New

russellglee@gmail.com
March 8, 2019

I am working with a company that is interested in being able to share forms via:
1 Edit links
Submitting user or new users can edit already submitted form content and then resubmit. The submission rewrites current submission with any edits and/or additions. QuintaDB currently supports this in user email notification and table widget links.
2 Pre-fill links
user receives a link to a pre-populated form similar to above but edited and/or added content adds a new row to the table/spreadsheet, which supports oversight of incremental project development. If QuintaDB already offers this feature I cannot find it.
—-Using #’s 1 and 2, and your excellent email conditional logic for integrating targeted notifications with Edit and/or Pre-populated form links provides an excellent framework for managing business processes. This can be accomplished using Google Forms and some add-ons (and that is a bit too complicated for some users), but I cannot find the whole package anywhere else.
Maybe QuintaDB?

Igor Petrushenko
March 9, 2019

Hi, Russell!

You can pass parameters to the form by adding field_index=value to the URL, like this: ?1=John&2=Smith

Hope it helps. Otherwise, please, give me more examples of how you need it to work and we’ll see if we can offer another way.

russellglee@gmail.com
March 9, 2019

Hi Igor,
The term pre-populated is probably confusing. What I’m looking for is quite simple.
The QuintaDB edit link emailed to users (opens populated form as a web form) and the edit buttons that become available when web users are allowed to edit the database records (the button opens a populated embedded form). In both instances, the edited or added-to form submits to the same row it pulled the data from. The same row is edited.
A pre-populated form link (email) or table pre-populated form button would open a form exactly the same data as does the edit link or button - both forms would look like this -
https://quintadb.com/apps/aHWPe_W4bdROoabKhcK8oj/dtypes/cvW6XMWPLnWOzQW5NcM8on/edit?
The only difference is that the edit URL form overwrites the row of data it pulls from.
And the pre-populate URL writes a new row in the spreadsheet.

Igor Petrushenko
March 9, 2019

Currently it is not possible.
We have ‘Clone’ feature which duplicates the record. Who knows, maybe it will work for you.

russellglee@gmail.com
March 9, 2019

The clone would be perfect if I could then send the cloned record to a user to be edited — just like the Allow End User Edits, only instead of sending the original record the cloned record data is sent. Currently, the cloned record can only be updated inside QuintaDB.
Thank you for looking at this.

Igor Petrushenko
March 9, 2019

Ok. So which steps it should be if we’ll go with clone feature?
Please, can you provide the exact steps and features you want to see?

russellglee@gmail.com
March 9, 2019

This is modified from QuintaDB support for User Edits

1) Go to Emails menu in Notifications section.

2) Check Allow end user edits item (or Check allow end user clone edit (the complicated part – checking allow clone edit would automatically generate the cloned entry inside QuintaDB when triggered). Please notice, that to activate this feature you need to have an email field on your web form.

Remember, that your form should ask for your users’ email. Only if this is true you can get all benefits from this feature. As you have most probably understood this is for emailing the link to user’s submission.
A user will receive an email and will need to save it for the future use. (Or app owner could send included links manually)
And finally a user will be able to update his details (or update the cloned details).

So, if the Edit Clone Entry row could not be automatically by QuintaDB the logged in owner would have to be able to generate an Edit URL or Edit Clone URL from Records to manually send to users.
Hopefully, this makes sense.

Igor Petrushenko
March 9, 2019

Thanks, we’ll think about it.

russellglee@gmail.com
March 9, 2019

Thank you, Igor. I think you’d find this would be appreciated by many of your users.

Igor Petrushenko
March 11, 2019

Hi, Russell!

Not sure if making a record copy and auto-sending it sounds good.

You can use Table Widget with enabled Clone and Edit buttons. Once you clone record you’ll be redirected to Edit this cloned record page. You can just copy & paste this URL and send it to user manually.

Share the discussion in the social networks:

Tags